Sunday, February 24, 2008

taboo? probably. benificial? most definately.

So, I've been batting around a crazy little idea for the past couple of days. Hence, my lack of existence here.

Some, including the dear husband, think it's a crazy, insane idea. Me, I'm not so sure what I think anymore.

I mentioned my dilemma in my last post. You know the one about that awful B word, about having money one day and turning around the next and finding it all gone, without an explanation for where it went. Yeah, that one.

Well, I've created a budget. I've logged my spending habits for the last week and weeded out all I can get rid of without thinking twice about it. I can already tell that it will make a huge difference.

Now for the part I'm struggling with. Posting that information, salary and all, here on the interweb for all to see.

Okay, before you think I'm a total whack-job let me explain.

I like feedback. More than just the husband telling me I've done a good job. I want more perspectives than just ours. I like that. I need that at this point in the game. More ways to trim the fat. To save more money. Ideas. They are good.

Also, I personally think that what a person makes is just that, a number. It doesn't define who they are or their rank of importantness (yeah, I know, totally not a word). Most people (women especially) are so secretive over this information. And really, what's the point? It's just a number. I have friends who make way more than I do and friends who make way less. And, believe it or not, I find I can learn the most from my friends that make way less. They budget, they prioritize. They make their pennies matter instead of leaving them on the sidewalk when they fall out of their pockets.

What Tim and I make is at the middle of the road. Not too much, but not scraping by either. We are comfortable middle class. And there is NO reason what-so-ever for us to have these financial burdens we have forced on ourselves. I work with nineteen-year-olds who do a better job with their money than I do. It's insane.

The worst part is I know all of this, have all the information I need to
make a better choice, yet, when I get my grubby little paws on that paycheck at the end of the week, I'm first in line at Target, or Pier 1, or wherever else, to stock up on unnecessary crap that I really,truly don't need. Letting the necessitates, such as groceries, or the electric bill, fall by the way-side. I won't even tell you when the last time I entered a grocery store was. Scary, that's all I'm saying.

I'm thinking that if I go through the hassle, and embarrassment, of posting my budget online for all to see, it will make me more accountable for my actions. It will give me more to think about when I see that awesome tripod lamp at Target again.

"Hmm, do I really want to buy this thing, and then have to explain my actions to the entire Internet? Yes, I know it would look incredibly cute in my new office. But, on the other hand, it's not going anywhere. So, doesn't that mean it can wait a few more weeks, after I've had time to save the right way for this purchase?"

Now, I know there are a million reasons why I shouldn't post my salary online. The critical remarks I know I'll get. Everyone knowing a little too much about my life. My ex-husband, who checks in periodically, knowing how much we make. You know, stuff like that.

Yet, my overwhelming urge is to throw caution to the wind and post the damn thing. In the end I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Now is the time for all you lurkers out there to tell me your opinions on this crazy idea.

Should I or shouldn't I? That is the question.

0 comments: