Friday, May 12, 2006

An Easter We Will Never Forget

April 16, 2006

Well, I guess I'll start with the good news. We got home today around noon and went straight over to the in-laws house. Had a great egg hunt with the kids and a yummy home cooked meal. All in all, it was a great day. Very relaxing and just what we needed after the long drive we had made.

Then it happened. . .

Around 7:30 p.m. right around the time we were getting ready to leave to go home, we got a phone call from our apartment complex to let us know that there had been a fire around 4:30 in the afternoon and that everything was gone. I don't think I've ever moved so fast in my entire life. Tim and I rushed to the car and then made the long, silent drive across town home. Where our worst fears were confirmed. Our apartment was gone. More importantly our precious cat, Dori was gone. Our apartment didn't have any fire damage but it did have a ton of smoke and water damage to it. A ton of water damage. 1000 gallons of water a minute was what went through our apartment while the firefighters worked to put out the fire that was supposedly started by a cigarrette. I still don't know many of the details and I know I'm still in complete shock over all this. Hopefully this whole thing will become much clearer in the days to come.

For now, I guess we're stuck in this room The Red Cross has provided for us while our kids sleep peacefully at the grandparents house completly oblivious to what has happened on this awful day. I don't think sleep is going to find Tim nor I quite as easily.

0 comments: