Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Only two weeks to go?

There has to be some mistake. Surely this isn't true. I must be living in an alternate universe where time is in warp speed or something. It seems like just yesterday was Thanksgiving. Heck, we just put up our tree. How can Christmas be two WEEKS away?!!

Can you tell I'm not ready? Not even in the least. Like I said, we just put our tree up yesterday. It's still sitting here, waiting for the branches to fall. No lights, no ornaments, no tree skirt, no snow, nothing. One lonely bare tree waiting for our love and attention.

I still haven't been able to get any shopping done either. We have so much left to do. When I think of all the people left to buy for (some that require shipping) I get a little nauseous. Tim and I are planning a big trip on Thursday to get the majority of the kids stuff taken care of, so that only leaves. . . oh the rest of the family. The boys will be spending time with the in-laws to make this possible. And from what I hear, they're going to have a grand ol' time. They're going to be making trains out of graham crackers, cookies, candy, and frosting. They'll have a blast! And come home all sugared up, just in time for bed! Lovely. . .

We had plans for this season, we really did. I wanted to have all my shopping and wrapping done by the time the kids were out on winter break. Well, their last day is Friday so unless I stay up all night Thursday and work through until they get home from school on Friday (which is earlier than usual anyway, not to mention impossible since Bumpo has a field trip on Friday) it isn't going to happen. ::sigh::

However, I WILL have everything done before Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve, will be spent with me in the kitchen making yummy treats for my family and preparing for our traditional dinner that night, with a simple no muss, no fuss, all day buffet on Christmas day.

My mom is going to be here for Christmas this year. I'm so excited about that. It's been about six years since I've celebrated the holidays with my parents and I'm really looking forward to this year.

My dad might also be flying down sometime during the week between Christmas and New Year's with my older brother. He's a pilot, and just bought his own plane so my dad is going to ask him for a favor.

Scott, Bob's dad, is also planning an appearance at some point. Not sure how all that is going to play out yet, but I know Bob will be very happy to see him. There is something to be said for having a healthy relationship with your ex, especially when children are involved. Sometimes I think it's one of the hardest things I have to deal with, but it really is for the best. While I may not care for some of the stuff Scott does at times, I know my son loves him, and I know Scott loves Bob, which is what's most important. We remain civil towards each other when Bob is around, and even most of the time when he's not. Even when I was younger, and I was around friends who's parents were divorced, I could never understand why they insisted on talking bad about the other one, in front of the child. All it does is make the kid feel bad. It doesn't accomplish anything, and quite frankly, makes the child resent the bad mouthing parent. That is something I have vowed never to do. I don't hate Scott, and hopefully he doesn't hate me either. We happen to share the most precious thing that two people can share. It's a bond that can never be broken. Because of this, he'll always hold a special place in my heart. That's one very important thing I'm trying to remember this holiday season.

Well, I guess I should be going. I know my time can be better spent than on here, typing away. In fact, Bob has his holiday party at school tomorrow and I've committed to making cookies for his class. Then Thursday brings Bumpo's party, which of course I'm making cookies for as well. Not to mention the cookie platters I plan on making for all three of their teachers this year.

. . . . Oh yeah, my time can be must better utilized.

Merry Christmas all!!

0 comments: