Friday, March 16, 2007

Insomnia

Let me start by saying that I am absolutely, head over heals, in love with my dear Timmy. However, there is one thing about him that drives me insane. Now, I'm not talking about the "deal breaker" kind of insane, just the "OH if I could change one thing about that man" kind. My dear husband refuses to go to sleep at night. He could be drop dead tired, falling asleep at the computer, or in front of the television, but when I ask him to go to bed, he'll say no. Or if I call him on falling asleep, he'll swear up and down that he wasn't sleeping. He just had his eyes closed. Never mind the question I had asked him ten times before I even got an answer. No sirree, he was NOT asleep.

I used to think that this was because he didn't want to come to bed with me at night. I used to be deeply offended by the idea of us going to bed at different times. Probably because I read in some magazine somewhere that when a couple goes to bed at different times it means they aren't strong in their relationship, that retiring to the bedroom at the same time each night was an important key factor to a happy marriage. And me, and my naive brain believed every. single. word. of. it. In my mind, because one couple swore this was the secret ingredient to happily ever after, I believed that if we didn't do this, we wouldn't be happy. I was wrong.

I've since gotten over that notion. Apparently, he's been doing this all his life. His mom has no idea where he got it from and I have no idea how to break him of it. He'll probably always do this, it's one of the quirks that makes him, him. No matter how annoying I think it is.

Now, I bet you're probably wondering why in the world I even told you that story, right?

Well, it seems as though our roles have reversed. Lately Tim has had no problem admitting when he's tired at night. In fact, he's been the first to go to bed lately. Me, on the other hand? Well, for whatever reason I am having a terrible time going to sleep at night. Take right now for example. My eyes are burning, my vision is blurring, yet here I sit, tap, tap, tapping, away at this computer. I've already tried lying down for the night. it didn't work. Within seconds, my mind was racing with everything I need to do tomorrow, everything I should have done today, and yes, even this stupid blog post that I just had to type out before it escaped my brain.

Now, Tim is the one on the other side of the spectrum, irritated that I'm not tired when he's tired. Wondering why I can be sitting here at eight o' clock in the evening, barely able to stay awake during our usual prime time shows, yet wide awake when bedtime rolls around. I have no idea what the deal is. Absolutely none. Although, I must admit (ever so quietly, of course), that it's nice to be on the other side of the argument for a change.

Something has to change though. The kids have been late for school twice this week. Apparently, it's rather hard to drag your tired butt out of bed, in the morning, after only one and a half hours of sleep.

Who knew?!!

0 comments: