Saturday, March 17, 2007

Only six more days . . .

. . . . until the annual apartment complex yard sale. This year, we are going to participate.

It's hard to believe that less than a year ago we were stripped of all our worldly possessions. Left with (almost literally) the clothes on our backs and the stuff left in our car from vacation. Yet, here I sit, once again, in an over crowded apartment. Full of furniture we don't need, clothes the kids have outgrown, and other odds and ends we rescued from the fire only to realize we didn't really need them after all.

We are still so far from getting everything we need to make this place a home. Even though this house is bursting at the seams, it's bursting with stuff that is of no use to us. Take for instance, the two reclining chairs we have. While they are nice enough chairs, we simply have no room for them. We've tried them in almost every single room here and they just don't seem to work. Much to my poor Tim's chagrin. He's going to hate to see at least one of them go. It is a mighty comfy place to rest, but on the other hand, it's also extremely painful to bump into, trust me!

Then, there's the antique dining room table we acquired along the way. I love that it folds up into a small buffet. Making it easy to stow away when not in use - - giving us lots of extra room in a very cramped space. However, finding chairs to match the table has proven more time consuming, not to mention more expensive than we had planned. We've found that it's actually cheaper to buy an all new set, table included. Plus, we've since to turn our dining area into a home office, so I think it's safe to say that a dining room table, at this point in time, is a lost cause.

And the dresser. The dresser I had so many plans for. I have no doubt that it will be a beautiful piece of furniture, once it is refinished. Unfortunately, I won't be there to see it if/when it happens. I absolutely hate the idea of selling a perfectly good dresser. I love dressers. They can be used for so much. But, for us, "so much" usually means so much crap. As is the case at this very moment. I have no idea what has made a home within the drawers. I do know that everyone in the house (me included), when faced with something we have no idea what to do with, we shove it in there. The poor thing is about to burst. In fact, late at night, I'm almost positive I can hear the poor thing cry out for mercy. So, I am granting it that one last wish. Next Saturday it will spread it's wings and fly to a new home.

So, this week is going to be a busy one in this household. I am going through everything, purging what we don't need, boxing what we plan to sell, and organizing what we keep. This yard sale has become a huge milestone in this house of chaos. It will mark the end of a disorganized house. Hopefully, by this time next week, my house will be spotless and organized. And, most importantly, will earn us a few extra bucks, that will allow us to go pick up some stuff that we actually need around here like dishes, and new bedding for the boys, and something for these dreadfully plain walls.

0 comments: