Monday, March 12, 2007

A library card and a merry-go-round

Today I got the the pleasure of accompanying Bob on his field trip. This is the first one I've been able to go on this year because of Bumpo's crazy schedule. It was so great to spend some one on one (if you don't include the other 18 children in his class) time with him today.

As far as field trips go, this one was rather lame. They went to the library and then to a park right next door. The library didn't seem very prepared, but the kids didn't seem to mind. They go to take a tour, and then the librarian read them a few stories. All in all, I think the library portion of the trip took about 30 minutes and the park/playing part took about three hours. Which was fine with me. Playing with Bob was the best part as far as I'm concerned anyway.

One good thing did come out of the library portion though. Bob is the proud new owner of a library card. I'm kinda ashamed to admit that it's taken me eight years to get the poor kid a card but in all honesty it's only because I never think about the library. Whenever I need a new book, I go buy a new book. Same goes for the kids, if they need a new book, we head on out to Barnes and Noble and take care of it.

The library has one major down fall in my opinion. In that, you have to actually remember to return the books. Something I am terrible at. I don't know why, but when it comes to those stupid books, my memory goes blank. In fact, it's a rare occurrence when it actually happens.

Anyway, back to my dear Bob's field trip. . . The park portion of the day was fantastic. It was a beautiful day. Mid 70's, sunny, with a balmy ocean breeze. Bob and I spent the day talking, with me pushing him on the swings, running around, him being the dutiful son and posing for his manic mom's photos, and all in all just enjoying our time together. He's such a happy kid. I don't think I saw him for more than a second today without a smile plastered across his face. He truly loves school. Unlike me when I was in school, he seems to be so comfortable there. Everyone seems to know and love him. In fact, whenever we are out anywhere in town, he always runs in to someone who knows him. Even if he has no clue who they are, they sure know who he is. I'm so glad I got to spend the day with him. With how smart he is, it's sometimes hard to remember that he's only eight. And, even though I try not to, sometimes I take him for granted. I expect him to do more than he's capable of doing. I expect him to stay on task with his chores more than I probably should. I'm so thankful I had today, it really helped knock me back into perspective.

0 comments: