Friday, March 30, 2007

Missing: one eight year old boy


If you see him, please return him to his mother. I miss him.

You may recognize him by his perfect little nose, his sweet smile, his inquisitive nature, and his ability to infuriate anyone near him on a moments notice. Of course, if you ask him, he doesn't mean to do that last thing, he's just kidding around. Which is what makes it so darn sweet. Frustrating sure, but super sweet none-the-less.

Bob left today for the trip out of state to be with his dad. I know he's only going to be gone for a week but I'm sure gonna miss that kid. He's super excited to go and I'm hoping Scott will actually make a decent effort this time, and spend some time with the poor boy who craves attention from his dad, oh so much.

Before he left today, Tim, Bob and I sat down with the resource officer and I think Bob finally got the idea of how serious what he did was. Hopefully, it's enough to make him think twice about doing something like that again. The officer was super cool with us as well. I was a little worried we'd be looked at as bad parents because of what Bob had done. But he reassured us that when kids do something like that, it really has no reflection on the parents, at all. In fact, his own son has stolen money in the past. So, it's nice to know that we aren't severely screwing up our son.

After that, Tim and I decided to pull Bob out of school a little early so we'd have more time to spend with him. So, we signed him out, went and picked up Bumpo, and then headed off to the movies (we had plans to go swimming, unfortunately rain ruined those plans). TMNT, was the movie of Bob's choice. It was a decent movie, in my opinion. Both boys were glued to the screen from beginning to end, so I'd say it accomplished our goal. Bob had a great time and it was a nice way to spend the afternoon, before we had to turn Bob over to his dad. After we were done there, we headed off to Tim's work to drop him off. Scott met us there. And the goodbyes began.

Bumpo was devastated when he had to say goodbye this afternoon. He loves Bob so darn much, and this whole thing is so hard on him. Unfortunately, I think it's only going to get harder. Bumpo is getting old enough now to really, really miss Bob when he's away. Before this year, he'd miss him for a day or so and then forget about him and enjoy the one on one attention he gets to receive for a change. This time, I'm worried that won't be the case.

I'm so grateful that Bob and Bumpo have such a close relationship. When everything is said and done, they really do have an incredible bond. Sure, Bob still tries to pull the "big brother" tricks on Bumpo that I'm sure all older siblings do, like promising him to let him sleep with Ellie for five nights, in exchange for Bumpo's GameBoy, kinda unfair. Or trading candy with Bumpo, after he's eaten all the good candy out of his own stash and is left with a less than desirable (and severely depleted) supply. But that stuff is bound to happen in any household. It's the circle of life, or at the very least, the circle of sibling life. I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I really am lucky to have such wonderful kids.

And now my countdown begins. 8 days and counting until my heart and house are whole again.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go rescue one Odo cat from the clenches of my dear lonely Bumpo's hands. He promised Bob he'd watch over the cats for him while he's away (Both cats are madly in love with Bob, they sleep with him every night), but I don't think this is what Bob, or the cats for that matter, had in mind.

1 comments:

Pamela said...

I love reading your blogs, LOL They are always so..... like a good movie! lol When I first read the header, I thought, OMG! lol My writings are always so short and boring, you really write good. I know you miss him so much.. And I read what he did.. I'm glad he had a good talk with the officer, its a good idea because sometimes kids don't take what "parents" say until someone else says it, then they get it. Hopefully, he has learned his lesson.