Thursday, March 22, 2007

Only two more days

. . . And I'm not even close to being ready for this yard sale. In fact, I haven't done much at all.

I've been plagued by a weird problem lately. Remember how I said that I've been having trouble sleeping? Well, that problem is completely gone. Now it's replaced by an inability to stay awake for more than about four hours straight. I'm completely wiped out. On top of that, it seems as though I'm having a terrible time enunciating my words. In fact, I'm downright slurring. The other day, the kids and I were at Target and I was trying to talk to them, and even they had a hard time understanding me. Let me tell you, if you're trying to get some nasty looks from other parents, start talking like you're drunk. It works every time. I'm still surprised I made it out of the store without the police, or children's services stopping me first.

All joking aside though, I'm really starting to get worried about all of this. I've tried everything I can think of. Going to bed a little earlier than usual, drinking lots of caffeine (which I always try to avoid), making sure I take my iron pills, I even did a lot of research to make sure this isn't some form of depression. Nothing checks out.

At first I thought for sure it was just my iron. I've always been anemic, forced to take iron pills every day for the rest of my life. However, I have a tendency to rebel against the idea of a pill every day. Iron pills make me sick. I'm always nauseated when I take the stupid pills, but when I don't I'm tired and tend to get migraines. So, I am constantly going back and forth with them. I'll do really well and take them, as directed for a few months in a row, then I'll forget about them (or just choose not to take them because I'm feeling so well) and go a few days without.

This time, I went over a month without a single pill. I've been back on them for a few days now, and I'm still having the same problems. Maybe it's because I went off of them so long this time, but I'm not even feeling the slightest bit of improvement.

I also started to worry that I was depressed in some way. The sleeping problems, the exhaustion. But, after a lot of research, I've discovered that I really don't fit the mold for depression. Nothing else in my life is wrong. I'm not foggy, I'm not down, for the four hours I am awake I get a lot done - - my mind is clear and I'm focused. So, according to the books (and Internet), that's not depression.

Ahh, I guess it's about time to go for my last resort and give the doctor a call. Which will probably involve lots of wonderful blood tests, and maybe even a couple painful iron shots to follow.

At this point, I'll welcome those things with open arms, and plump veins.

0 comments: