Wednesday, September 19, 2007

wfmw ~ easy decorating idea

Fall is right around the corner, and if you're anything like me, you want to surround yourself in the season. I mean, who wouldn't, fall is so beautiful. The changing leaves, the cooler crisp air, even the sunlight seems to have a different way of hitting everything around.

I can't help myself, I constantly find myself flipping through catalogs looking for new decorative additions to add to my home. In fact, in about a month, I will probably pack away all of my current decor, in lu of some more festive items. Instead of the Asian inspired dragon which currently graces the spot on my kitchen counter, it will be replaced by a ceramic pumpkin with a delightfully scented candle hidden within. Another thing you will notice in my home is that my photographs will change. The ones I have scattered through-out my apartment will go from the candid moments of my children by the pool and vivid pictures of the violent crashing surf, to pictures of pumpkins and kids jumping in leaves instead.

Now, this may sound like a hugely daunting task, however it isn't. It's actually the simplest task I undertake during my "transformation of the seasons". In fact, it's so simple I'm almost positive this is old news to most of you out there. See, what I do is this:

I have a few photos hidden in every picture frame in my house (about 4-5 in total). The candid shots that adorn many shelves and even the more professional photos that hold a special place on my walls. When I get sick of seeing a certain photo, or when a certain photo seems out of place (the kids with Santa in February, well hidden
Easter eggs in July) I go to that frame and pick another photo contained within, that better fits the season or the current decor of my home.

This little thing saves me so much time and it's so much easier than having to unpack and repack separate picture frames for all the different photos I like to display throughout the year.

You'd also be surprised to see just how much difference a few photos can make in transforming your home from one season to the next.

For more wfmw ideas, head on over to Rocks in my Dryer

6 comments:

Heather aka The Momma said...

I do this too! I love changing out our pics. I hope this catches on with the readers - thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

Hey, that is a really smart idea - I like that!

Thanks for visiting my WFMW today. :-)

Melissa Markham said...

I love the idea of switching around the photos! A great time saver and a great way to keep those photos and a great way to have the different pictures!

I haven't gotten that good at my CVS savings yet, but I aspire to do it! That's amazing 5.00 for 50.00 for stuff. Those people are my heroes.

amyswandering said...

Absolutely brilliant - thanks for sharing!
Amy
http://amyswandering.wordpress.com/

Kiy said...

I love this idea! Back soon, need to hunt up more pictures for these out-seasoned frames! :)

Kiy

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

This is a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing it!