Wednesday, October 03, 2007

backwards WFMW: file under???

I consider myself to be a fairly organized person. I can sort with the best of them, have the kids endless mountain of toys under control, have all my photos contained in a neat (okay, fairly neat) manner, and can find just about anything someone in the house needs at any given time. . . . As long as that something is NOT paper related.

I have tried many different systems for storing papers. From reciepts, to coupons, to canceled checks, to birth certificates and important family papers, to insurance info., basically EVERYTHING.

I hate filing, absolutely hate it. But, I've tried to make it easier on myself. I've tried having a filing box on my desk with stuff that needs to be filed, and do it later when time permits. That didn't work, so I tried doing the filing when I get it in. I've even tried getting rid of the filing system all toghether and going with a binder system instead (one binder for important family info like birth certificates, another for insurance, and another for each bill like electric, water, cable ,etc.) NOTHING is working for me. I'm not sure if I need a new system or if I need a new way of going about the whole idea.

I need help!!! Any ideas??

If you have any ideas to share with other people reaching out for help, head on over to Rocks in my Dryer.

3 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

Try www.realsimple.com. They have tons of organizing ideas for filing and other stuff!

April said...

Since I am lazy I have a special file drawer for files I need to access more frequently. I keep this file arm's length from my desk so I can't be to lazy to file the stuff away. I don't even have to get out of my chair. My frequently used files are bills, to do's, to look into, coupons, data entry, etc. Hope this helps.

Meg said...

I am with you on the filing problems. I have a large clear underbed storage tub (not very deep), and have everything filed in manila folders in there. I just tote the thing from room to room as I need it, and slide it under the bed when I don't. Stuff that needs to be filed is tossed in and gets filed when I have time. Even if I don't have everything in its place, I know its all in one place. HTH.