Saturday, May 10, 2008

a decision has been made. . . .

. . . . and we will be moving to California at some point next month, after the kids are out of school and when we have a definite plan in place for Bob's summer with dad.

I am quite apprehensive about the whole thing. While I'm not sure this is the smartest thing we can do with our future at this point in time, I know a decision has to be made. Tim has a job lined up when we get there, my job is easily transferable, yet I find myself dreading that bottom line. We'll make more there. We'll make plenty, on paper, to pay the bills and stash some away. But, we all know how the budget on paper goes, unexpected expenses always happen and it always ends up costing more than you think, no matter how much you think you over budget. Especially when you plan on living in the most expensive state in the country.

Not to mention the whole California - - unpredictable earthquake thing. That scares the shit out of me to be completely honest. Experts say that a big one isn't far off. Granted, in their terms it means it could be tomorrow or a hundred years from now. Plus, we deal with the threat of hurricanes here. Although, personally given the choice, I'd pick hurricanes any day over a damn earthquake. At least I know when a hurricane is coming.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that, in my heart of hearts, I still feel that Ohio would have been the much more reasonable solution. There I could have paid the bills on what I make alone. The budget would have been super tight, but again, that's just factoring in my income alone. Tim would have gotten a job and even if he could only find something making minimum wage, (and I'm sure he could have found something making much more than that) we would have been ahead. But it snows in Ohio, and snow and Tim don't mix.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the best part about all of this. . . . Tim's mom is moving with us. Not only is she moving with us, but she's moving IN with us. She says only for the next year, until she can stand on her own, but I seriously doubt we'll ever see the day she leaves.

So, there it is, we're California bound, and in a little over a month. Meaning we have a whole lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in. Oh, and I get the added pleasure of talking with my district manager, you know the one who JUST promoted me, and letting him know that I won't be sticking around the area like I had thought, then begging him for a transfer. Should be fun.

2 comments:

Immortal Woman said...

California and your mother in law is moving in??? Lord help you! You are having the worst mother's day ever. And just when I thought there was hope you may be coming back here! This ought to bring about some really great blogs! Good luck, and Happy (I am so sorry) Mother's Day!

Immortal Woman said...

Where have you been?