Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Can You Here Me Now?

About a week after my yongest son was born I had to run a few errands. Tim had already returned to work so this was going to be my first official "New mom of two" journey, alone. Well, after breakfast that morning, I got the kids ready, the diaper bag packed, Bumpo topped off and strapped into his little car seat, and off we went to the car. When we got to the car I set the diaper bag and cell phone on top of the roof while I proceded to help both boys into their respecteve places. I then grabbed the diaper bag, flung it into the passenger seat beside me and we were off. "Not so hard" I thought to myself. That was until we get to the end of the road and I turn the corner, that I hear this weird sound like something is sliding around on my roof. That's when it dawns on me, where in the world did I leave the cell phone? Well, on the roof of course. Except now, it was no longer on the roof but smashed into a million pieces on the side of the road. I proceeded to pull over at the earliest conveince and watch in my rear view mirror as car after car runs over my husband's cell phone. The cell phone he had for business with a great number of irreplaceable business contacts in it. To this day I haven't lived down that incident, also known as the day I ruined my husbands potentail future careers, but in my eyes it could have been worse. At least I didn't put one of the kids on top of the car!

That was just my first experience with cell phones. And I'd love to be able to say that it was an isolated incident brought on by new mom hormones. But if I said that I'd be lying. . . .

A few months after that incident we had to replace the second phone because I had let Bumpo use it as a chew toy to keep him occupied during long grocery shopping excursions. Oh how he loved that thing. It would keep him busy and happy for hours. Turns out that baby saliva is quite carrosive to cell phones though. Who knew?!! Did I learn from that though? Of course not. . . I've had several more cell phones since then to replace the deaths of old ones. One because it was run over, another because I left it somewhere in Austin Texas on our latest vacation.

Before I puchased my latest phone, I decided that I was getting quite sick of the reputation I have as a cell phone murderer. So sick that I actually promised myself I'd take extra good care of this one. I wouldn't get a scratch on it. . . . And just in case, I'd get the insurance offered by our cell phone company.

That was about four weeks ago. That same cell phone now sits beside me, full of scratches, and dropped on a daily basis. But at least it's the SAME phone so maybe, just maybe, I can be downgraded from being a murderer, to just being highly abusive. Progress is progress though, right?

2 comments:

Plastic said...

Hey you - I can't find your number, and I thought I had lost this link. Call me. I have peeps that want to send you guys stuff and I want to hear from you guys.

Plastic said...

Hey you - I can't find your number, and I thought I had lost this link. Call me. I have peeps that want to send you guys stuff and I want to hear from you guys.