Thursday, February 01, 2007

And the countdown begins


Sunday is an important day for a lot of people this year. Especially if you are a Bears or a Colts fan. Me, I couldn't care less about football. Sunday means something totally different to me.

On February forth, my baby will be five. Like I've mentioned before, he's the size of a three year old but, has the heart of a grown man. He continually puts all others before himself. Making his family happy is the only thing that matters to him. He's the easy going one in this family full of chaos. As long as he's with his family, it doesn't matter what we're doing. Although, he would prefer if we did it at home.

He's the one who's worried me the most throughout his beautiful life. He's been poked and prodded far more than his older brother yet each and every time, he takes it like an adult, knowing that the doctors are only there to make him better.

His little soul has touched every person he's ever met. He's my old soul. He seems to understand far more than any other five year old I've ever seen. When our beloved cat died last year, I worried about his reaction most. While all of us were grieving her loss, he seemed to make peace with it the most. I wasn't sure he'd understand. But as we laid her to rest, in front of that palm tree, he understood.

He gets the small things in life that most kids don't begin to understand. He is always the first to stop and smell the flowers, to listen to the birds, to take that few extra moments to make his drawing just right. He doesn't hurry. In fact, I don't even think that word is in his vocabulary. While it drives me crazy at times, especially when I'm in a rush to get out the door and he's leisurely strolling through the house in search of his missing Diego shoe, I know I can learn a lot from him. He keeps me grounded. He reminds me that, I too, need to slow down. To sit back and relax. To look at the world around me.

I'm so blessed to have this beautiful person in my life.

Happy Birthday to you, my sweet "baby" boy.

. . . . And many, many more to come.

0 comments: