Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My Favorite Cheap Date Ideas


I stumbled upon this idea through. . . . something (it's hard to remember just where I've been anymore!) and I'm so glad I did. Shalee is hosting a wonderful event full of cheap date ideas.

As the semi-frugal person that I am, I have a few ideas that have worked for me over the years.

First one being a scavenger hunt. This is my favorite idea by far, not to mention insanely cheap. It's a great way to remember important events in your relationship that tend to get shoved into the back of your mind, especially once the kids start arriving. You can have him go to the first place you guys met, the location of your first date, where he proposed, your favorite breakfast spot, another personal spot just the two of you know about, just about anywhere can be a special place. My husband and I met online, so one of the places he had to stop was a computer store because if it wasn't for the computer, we wouldn't be where we are today. You can make the hunt as long as you want it to be. Just be creative.

. . . Oh, and make sure the ending is worth all the build-up. Whether it be a nice romantic dinner for two, a candle lit hotel room with take-out already there (because trust me, he will be hungry after hunting all day), or just back at home (my personal favorite) with a nice yummy candle lit meal prepared with candles lighting a path to the bathroom for a nice relaxing bath (men do enjoy bubble baths as well) and then on to the bedroom for some nice . . . . alone time.

The other idea I have is cheap for me since I live in Florida. Although as long as you have a cruise port nearby this idea would work for you as well. Often times, cruises offer a deal where they don't go anywhere, just out to sea for a night. This makes a great little get away. It's about the same cost as a hotel room, but you get so much more. First, you are on a cruise ship, dinner is usually included in the price, and they almost always have a special "dress-up" event planned, or at the very least a place to gamble.

For other awesome cheap date ideas (or if you have one of your own to share) head on over to Shalee's and get your fill there.

5 comments:

Shalee said...

Love these ideas! I hadn't even considered weaving things that would tie in your dating past. That's just marvelous, romantic and amazingly beautiful.

Being completely landlocked, I can't do the 2nd suggestion, but it sounds heavenly.

Thank you so much for posting these fabulous ideas and playing along.

Michelle said...

Hubs will be happy to know I'm not the only one who does scavenger hunts for dates! I forgot about the cruises in FL - we've hit the gambling boat out of Port Canaveral, we're not gamblers so that makes it cheap and the entertainments not bad. Great idea!

Ashleigh Baker said...

What a fun idea! :) When my cousin got engaged, her now-hubby did this same sort of thing the day he proposed. He took her to every special place they'd been together. It was so sweet!

Overwhelmed! said...

We went on a scavenger hunt once for a work function. It was loads of fun! :) I might have to try to plan a romantic one for my husband and I.

I offered one, cheap and fun idea in my post!

Ms. Kathleen said...

Yes, little cruises. We did this in Hawaii when I lived there. No cruises here unfortunately but an excellent idea.