Friday, April 27, 2007

Com-freakin'-tastic

So, our local cable company, my beloved and reliable Time Warner Cable was bought out. The buyer - - an unreliable, unorganized, and rather shady Comcast is my replacement. So far, I'm not impressed.

My Internet connection has been off and on for weeks. We have to go to some designated drop spot and replace our dvr and digital cable boxes (which we were told, they have now run out of, before they could replace everyone) because apparently the idiots in charge couldn't figure out how to make their new system run on the old boxes Time Warner used. They also decided to scramble all of our channels, meaning that my list of shows to record got completely messed up in the process, not to mention the ten or so channels we lost all together. They chose to get rid of Oxygen and that other female channel (not Lifetime) but kept useless channels like Animal Planet. Which means I can no longer watch "Tori and Dean: Inn Love", which bothers me way more than I care to admit.

And to think, we were told that this transition would be "a smooth one, hardly recognisable by the consumer." Umm, yeah, that didn't happen. They've been as disruptive as possible. As a matter of fact, the other day in the pharmacy I work at we had a group of older people gathered in our store discussing boycotting Comcast. We're talking people in their 70's, people who freely admitted to planning their lives around the television schedule are actually considering getting rid of their cable, their lifeline, and going back to the good ol' days of the reliable rabbit ears. Rabbit ears, that work well enough in big cities, but don't stand a chance here.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Comcast sucks. They've done a great job of destroying something that worked so wonderfully before they came to town.

0 comments: