Monday, November 12, 2007

Holiday Shopping Carnival

UPDATED: With fixed links. So sorry everyone. I thought I had checked every link, apparently not. However , they are all working now.


Through the years, I’ve always tried my hardest to find unique, personal gifts that I know the members in my family will love.

So far, I think I’ve done a pretty good job of it. At least I haven’t had any complaints, and I have some pretty outspoken, hard-to-buy-for people on my list.

So without further adieu I give you My Guide to Holiday Shopping 2007:

For the Gardener:
  • The Upside Down Tomato Planter – great for people who are limited for space. Or that die hard gardener that goes a little stir crazy during the winter months.
  • The Kitchen Counter Herb Garden – again, great for someone with limited space, or living in an apartment, like I do. I love the idea of having fresh herbs available to me, at arms reach, without the hassle of pesticides (like in the store bought kind), or having to deal with the dirt or mess I would make with a traditional herb garden. Bed, Bath, and Beyond also sells something similar for a slightly lower price.


For the Tech Junkie:
  • There are the ever popular ideas this year – an iPhone, PS3, or a Wii (which we have and it’s so incredibly awesome)
  • GameFly Membership – This is much like netflix.com, but for games. I am thinking about getting this for my husband this year. He can add as many games to his list as he’d like, try them out, and best of all, there are no late fees.
  • A New Flat-Screen TV – a bit on the pricey side, however I have heard that places that let you rent to own, are beginning to come down a lot in their prices. So much so that it is actually comparable to what you would pay if you were to put said item on your credit card. With interest and everything else, the cost is virtually the same.

For the Proud Grandparent:
  • A Digital Picture Frame – I love this idea. Buy one, fill it up with photos of the grand kids, and it’s ready to go. Target, Wal-Mart, K Mart, CVS, and Walgreens all have some inexpensive ones.
  • A Digital Photo Key Chain – a viewer that is portable and ready to go. The modern version of a brag book. You can find them at Target, CVS, or just about any other store out there, most of the time for under $25.
  • I Heart (Fill In the Blank) Framed Collage – for the non-tech type of grandparents. You can personalize it to say whatever you want. Something I’m sure any grandparent would adore.
  • Check out what your local stores have to offer in the photo lab section. - Most items are probably send-out, meaning they take a week or more to have done, but some stores have some awesome things. Like canvas prints, calendars, plates, shirts, bears, throws, and even a service where you can take old movies, slides, and the like and have then turned into DVD. You name it, they probably have it.

For Someone Who Has Everything (Female):
  • A Sephora Gift Card – Gift Cards usually aren’t my top choice for gift giving because they are so impersonal, in my opinion. However, I love Sephora’s. They go out of their way to make it look special by putting it inside a double mirror compact and then finishing it off by tucking it inside a little satin satchel. To make the gift more personal, try adding a little make-up bag, or a travel set of make-up brushes.
  • A Lumen Candle – These things are absolutely beautiful. It’s actually one of the top things on my list this year. Finish it off with some nice smelling oil and you’re good to go.
  • Inside-Out Champagne Glasses – For that person on your list who just has everything. These are just unusual enough. Perfect for that new couple, or the person who just has it all.
  • A Beautiful BookThis place has a coffee table book for about any subject you can think of. Same with Barnes & Noble or any other book store.

For Someone Who Has Everything (Male):
  • A Hidden Message Key Chain – This is a great gift idea for Dad or Granddad, from the kids. They can express their love, or engrave it with a saying that means something, just in the family.
  • Sterling Locket Cuff Links - My husband says that men usually get “the shaft” when it comes to gifts. Whether it be Father’s Day or Christmas, if you look at any department store out there you will see that the gifts out for men truly do lack, in every sense of the word. But, I love this idea. So simple, so classic.
  • The Art of Shaving Gift Certificate – They have an awesome collection of stuff on their website. And, if you happen to live near one, even better. Treat him to a Traditional Shave at their Barber Spa.
  • A collection of restaurant gift certificates – **My favorite idea** - -Perfect for someone who doesn’t have a lot of time on their lunch break. Pick up some gift certificates to the restaurants (preferably fast food or ones with a take-out menu) around where he works. The good thing is this can be relatively cheap, $5-$10 per certificate. Just enough to cover the cost of one meal.

For the Child Who Has Everything:
  • A digital Camera – This will be my gift to my oldest this year. There are many options for a digital camera and the price range is huge, allowing just about anyone to give this gift. I plan on adding a camera holder, photo album, and gift card for photo processing.
  • The Explorer Globe – my oldest had one of these a few years ago (before the fire) and both of my children played with it constantly. Even now, they still talk about their beloved globe. The age range says for 8+ but I will be giving this to my five year old. It’s perfect for the younger kids. Especially if they have an older sibling to play with.
  • I Can Play Guitar – Tim and I have noticed that both of our boys have recently started to get interested in musical instruments. There is something similar on the market (I’ve seen it at Target) with a keyboard, but I can’t seem to find it online now.
  • A Learning Keyboard – for an older child. An actual keyboard that has the keys that light up to teach you how to play. Target has a couple in their electronics department.
  • Books - This is something that is so overlooked but, at least for my children, loved dearly. Find out what they're interested in and grab a few books on the subject. Or try picking up a children's cookbook. They'll have a blast helping out in the kitchen.

For The Cook:
  • Gold Touch Baking Sheets – These things are by far the best baking sheets I have ever come in contact with. Well worth the price. They are AWESOME!!
  • Silpat – Another brilliant baking must-have. Nothing sticks to it. Makes clean-up super easy.
  • An Immersion Blender – Perfect for soups. I never knew how handy these things were until after mine broke. I miss that thing dearly.
  • A Food Processor – If you know anyone who doesn’t have one of these things, get it for them, NOW! I can’t imagine a kitchen without one. They make life so much easier. Check out Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wal-Mart, or any other Department Store.

Okay, I think I’m done. I’ve gone way overboard here, so sorry about that. If you’re still reading, thanks for sticking around! Hope I gave you some good ideas!

5 comments:

PT-LawMom said...

This is a fantastic list! Thanks!!!

Gina said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My Dad will love a digital key chain. He's shameless about hauling out pictures of the grandchildren.

Melissa Markham said...

Definitely a large list! Thanks for the work you put into it!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Great list!

I have one up too!

Amanda said...

great list!