Friday, September 26, 2008

10

The old saying is true, time really does fly by.

I can still remember being eighteen with this huge secret on my heart. Not knowing what to do or how to fix it. Worried about the future, my parents finding out, and most of all for this little life growing inside of me. I knew, even in those early days, that he deserved a great life. A life full of love and adventure. A life I was lucky enough to have growing up. Oh, how I worried that I wasn't good enough to give that to him. Too young to take on the responsibility of raising a child. Too scared to share my burden with others. Too stubborn to let people help me. Too ashamed to acknowledge, even to myself, that this was really happening to me.

Then the day came when he was born, and my life changed. At the age of eighteen, ready or not, I became a mother. Surrounded by my mother, Scott and the rest of my family I welcomed my beautiful baby boy into this world. I cried when I saw his beautiful face. And during those first moments, I knew. I knew I could rise to the challenge of making that little boy's life amazing. Ready to take on whatever crossed my path. He was my son and he deserved the best. I wouldn't settle for anything less.

*******

Ten years later and here I sit, now twenty-eight with a pre-teen staring back at me. And I wouldn't change a single moment for all the money in the world. Sure, there have been challenges and yeah I do laugh at the naive me from back then who thought this journey would be a walk in the park.

But, he's healthy and he's happy and I am so happy he's mine. I've enjoyed every second of watching this little baby of mine grow into a boy and I look forward to watching this boy turn in to a beautiful young man, just let the time slow down a little.

Happy birthday Bob, my first child, the person who's been with me the longest. Thanks for making that scared teenager, a mom.

1 comments:

Immortal Woman said...

I remember that day! I was having a candle party! And you should be so proud of yourself, you are an amazing mother! I am honored to have had the moments I have shared with you! You are just great! Love you!