Tuesday, December 30, 2008

just a quick little something that's been weighing on my mind. . . .

Okay, is it just me or is this just wrong (or at the very least, slightly disturbing):

My father-in-law, who is a high school teacher, is now on facebook and he has quite a few of his old students, mostly female, as friends. Now, maybe things have changed in the last ten years, but I never would have dreamed of having one of my ex teachers as a friend on facebook. I can't even see myself looking up any of them now and asking them to be my friend, and that includes the one I dated.

Keep in mind, these are students he hasn't even spoken to in over two years. To seek them out and ask them to be his friend is weird in my opinion. Am I nuts? Is that crossing the line? Or am I just finding a way to avoid going to sleep and officially ending my wonderful vacation from work?

3 comments:

Immortal Woman said...

I think he is just lonely. Maybe trying to capture a moment in time when he felt confident and happy. Some teachers remain close with students because they played a huge roll in their lives. But I could be wrong and it is just sick. Happy New Year! (my week off is almost over too!)

A Musing Mom said...

The only students I accept as friends are well into their parenting, grad school, or otherwise years. I do not accept current students or those still in the system - and those I accept are the kids of dear parent friends. No, you are not nuts! Who do I want seeing the privacy of my Facebook page - and I've been teaching for 20 years!
Wise woman, my friend!

A Musing Mom said...

P.S.I too have been kidnapped by Facebook!!!! So funny you should say that! It is my passion - or my escapism from everyday life. Privately email me your name and I will add you as a friend - as you are!!! Happy New Year!